Makes: 2-3 litres
- Around 40 sliced olives
- 5-6 stalks celery
- 4-6 carrots
- 1 cauliflower
- 1-1.5 litres white vinegar
- 3 bell peppers
- 100 grams sea salt
- 1litre water
- 1 litre olive oil
- hot peppers (this is optional if you want a hotter result. I used Adjuma peppers)
- Chop all the vegetables (except the olives) in bite size pieces.
- Melt the salt in the water.
- Place the cut veggetables and the salted water into a clean glass jar that can be closed well.
- Make sure to remove any air bubbles and cover all the vegetables.
- If you need add more salted water.
- Leave in the salted water for 4 days.
- On the fifth day substitute the water with the vinegar
- Wait 1 day.
- Remove the vinegar and tap the vegetables with a kitchen napkin.
- Clean a glass jar and start layering:
- an inch or two of vegetables,
- with a thin layer of oregano and
- a layer of sliced olives.
- At each set of layers start pouring olive oil.
- Try to compact the vegetables with a spoon in each layer
- Cover all vegetables with the oil.
- At the end make sure to remove any air bubbles.
- Store for 2-3 weeks
The quantity display below (4 litres) is the original quantity in the saline mix. In the last steps the total quantity made was 3 litres since it's much more compact.