Over Christmas week I had to prepare desserts for a lunch and a dinner with different people so I decided to re-use certain elements of the desserts. Both desserts used ice cream and caramel. You can find the recipe for the salted caramel sauce here.
Whenever I prepare ice cream I always try to choice interesting tastes. This coffee ice cream with streaks of caramel sauce hit the right taste buds.
You cannot really see it in this picture but the ice cream has caramel in it as well.
Recipe Origin: Buck ´n Run Ranch
- 540 ml heavy cream
- 140 ml whole milk
- 2 shots espresso
- 165 g granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks, at room temperature, beaten with a fork
- 4 tbsp caramel sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Warm the milk, sugar, 240ml heavy cream and salt in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture but don't bring to boil. Once the mixture is hot and steaming remove from heat.
- Stir in the espresso and vanilla.
- Use 1 cup of the mixture and add into the beaten egg yolks a bit at a time, whisking constantly.
- Pour back the egg mixture into the sauce pan.
- Add the remaining heavy cream to the sauce pan.
- Continue heating on low heat until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl.
- Place the bowl in an ice water bowl and stir until cooled.
- Chill in the refrigirator until cold.
- Prepare the ice cream according to the ice cream machine instructions.
- Place the ice cream storage container in the freezer and take out when ice cream is ready.
- Drizzle some caramel sauce at the bottom of the container. Add a layer of ice cream followed by more caramel.
- Continue layering the ice cream and caramel sauce.
- Use a butter knife to make swirls of the caramel.
- Add a final drizzle of caramel on top.
- Freeze until firm.