Whenever I cook an Indian dish I always end up preparing this Indian style basmati rice. The result is very aromatic and lovely to mix with the creamy Indian curries.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inch)
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes. DO NOT skip this step, its very important.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed.
- Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot.
- Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot.
- Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- Remove the pods, cloves, cinnamon stick before serving.